Saturday, March 13, 2010

Feb 26 Wake Up Call - Tiger Woods

OK on the front page of the sports section of the USAToday the cover story is “As idols fall, will clout ebb? Scandals deflate fans, knock athletes off hero-worship pedestal”. In the article it talks about how in the past we drank Gatorade because we wanted to “Be like Mike”, lyrics celebrated the golden era of Willie, Mickey, and the Duke, and we will always remember Ronald Reagan as the Gipper. Now the headlines are OJ confessing to murder, McGuire testifying to using steroids, Michael Vick and the dog fighting, Marion Jones admitting to using performance enhancing drugs and now the Tiger and all his women. In a recent USA Today/Gallop poll, 47% of adults said they consider Woods to be less of a role model since his news of extramarital affairs in November. Now I do not want to get off on an soap box here, but……

Why is it that we hold people in the public eye to a higher standard than everyone else? Are they not allowed to make mistakes? Please do not get me wrong, I do not agree with or condone what Tiger has done because it was wrong. However we are nailing him to the wall because he made a mistake. I was in Toys-R-Us last Christmas in the video game aisle and there was a grandmother looking for a game for her grandson. The sales associate pointed out a very popular Tiger Woods game and she had a hissy fit. “We will NOT be buying any Tiger Woods games”, she said.

My question to Tiger is, “Have you taken a look at your wife lately?” she is quite the fox my man. Why did ya have to go looking in other places for women? Yeah, yeah, I know what you are saying, “He is a role model”, well yeah and so are a lot of other people. Just because he makes more money in one putt than I do in a year does not mean he is that much of a better person than I am, he puts his pants on one leg at a time just as I do.

Do we really realize how much stress and pressure we put on public figures, we analyze every step they take and every move they make, not counting being the armchair golfer and critiquing every stroke on the golf course. If I were to think that there are not people looking up to me just as there are people looking up to Tiger I would be fooling myself, and the same goes for you too. We all have people who look up to us and admire us. As for me I do not have to leave my house as I have three young boys who look up to me and see me as some kind of super dad who can do anything and fix every thing and can do no wrong. Now do you think that is not a stressful situation? Now multiply that by tens of thousands of people, no wonder celebrities find themselves doped up and drunk, they are looking for some way to cope with the stress we have put on them.

If you or I were to make some kind of a mistake would we find our faces plastered all over the television or newspapers, blog sights, and national enquirer? Nope cause no one would care. So why do it to the people who are out there trying to make a living using their God given talents. I honestly do not care that they make more money in one year than I could even think about spending in a lifetime. I say leave them alone, let them do what ever it is that they get paid to do, and when the game is over let them go home and live their life. But that is just my opinion. Tell me what you think Facebook land and leave your comments on this video.

Legal Mumbo Jumbo.

The views and opinions expressed on this show are those of the host, guest and fans and not necessarily those of any organization represented by these people. Wake up call is a production of Free Speech Communications and my be re-aired at any time for your viewing pleasure. The contents of this show are meant to be only entertaining and possibly sarcastic. Should you have any issues regarding this show you are encouraged to forward any and all comments to my facebook account.

No comments: